Sunday, August 1, 2010

The Learning Curve

Well, what we learned was that Kyrah was allergic to, milk,(any type of milk protein), nuts, peanuts, fish, shellfish, any seafood, wheat and soy. Also every kind of tree that there is. She also has a certain type of antibody in her blood which can cause her to at any time to reject any substance, because her body sees it as the enemy and will fight it, hence the allergic reactions. Not only that her Doc explained to us that these allergies can cause at the least cause her to go into anaphylaxis , and at the worse death. OK it was good to finally get the answers, but now what do we do with it, how do we feed this kid and have her be healthy. Thankfully her allergy to wheat and soy we the most minor, and they were what was causing her eczema, her Doc said as long as we can control the eczema we could have those in her diet. We have since removed wheat and gluten also. The next 8 years have been spent learning how to read and understand labels, understanding cross contamination, learning about our food system, and nutrition. Not to mention trying to make her feel as "normal" as possible. Just a side note..... alot of my family members have developed food allergies later in life, including myself. Mine is to fish and shellfish. My husband Gary and my other daughter Lynzie also have allergies to peanuts and shellfish, Lynzie has the fish allergy also. So long story short, or short story long, thats the background to our food allergy journey. Now that you are up to speed I will start sharing helpful hints, lessons learned, and some very yummy recipes. Hope it can be helpful, and if you have any ideas or recipes of your own, please feel free to share them here. Like I said it's a learning curve, and we are still in it.

3 comments:

  1. I forgot to mention eggs are on her list of allergens also.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Well, if I knew how to add a picture I would> Here are my recipe request... is there a way to make gluten free gravy, and gluten free potato soup?

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love your blog and am so happy to have found it. SO great to connect with others with food allergies!
    xo
    I too have numerous food allergies and write about it at www.TheHealthyApple.com

    ReplyDelete